All I know is...

3.15.2007

It's A Roller Coaster

So much has been going on in the past few weeks. I almost don’t know where to begin the tale of my past couple weeks. I think I will hit you with some great news first. Knock that down with a little bit of crap. Bring it back up the hill with some more good news, a dash more of bad news, and then finish it off with a “What do you think?”

First of all, I am a new uncle. Beth’s brother Chris and his wife Erin had their new baby on the morning 28th of February. Paige Noelle(sp?), not to be confused with sister Paige “Sgt. Carter”, weighed 6 lbs. and 7 oz. The Saturday after she was born I finally got to see her. She is one of the sweetest looking babies I have seen in a while. As I looked down on her in the bassinette, she appeared to me like a doll in the sense that she looked perfect. Congratulations Chris and Erin on your little one. It’s a good thing her big sister Emma has experience at being a big sister. Hopefully, she can help you guys out. Plus, in six or seven years, you’ll have a babysitter other than Grandma and Pop.

On the first of March, Unit 899 was in the hospital for some surgery on what originally appeared to be an appendectomy, but ended up being a partial small intestines removal due to a Crohn’s Disease inflammation. This happened to be a real ordeal for me to handle. At first there wasn’t a great deal information being relayed the night of his surgery. It wasn’t anyone’s fault. There just wasn’t much information to pass on. Out of the hospital now, Joel’s recovery is still ongoing, but he sounds really well when I talk to him on the phone. If you wanted to pick a fight with Joel, now is your chance. I got a feeling, though. He still wouldn’t be the underdog! I hope we will see him this Friday night when Beth and I visit Mom and Dad at the LC Plantation. Maybe, we can get the Cats to win a game that matters and spare Tubby another year at the helm.

And speaking of UK basketball... (Don’t flinch. You knew this was coming.) Another 8 seed for the Cats for a second year in a row in the NCAA tournament is niiiiiice and not niiiiiice in a good way. I guess that is the State of the Big Blue Union these days. I have finally put my finger on the reason everyone is so down on the Tubbster. He placed himself on the pedestal with the NCAA Tourney win his first year of coaching. Then a downturn started when he lost 39 games over the next four seasons. Dissidence began to grow. After a great season in 2003, reaching the Elite 8 (defeated by Dwane Wade and Marquette), and signing the best recruiting class in the nation, pressure was starting to lift. But, with early departures from the NCAA Tournaments in 2004 and 2006 with a 13 loss season and already 11 losses this season, the trend is pretty evident. Someone in the tenth year of tenure at a…well, what used to be a perennial powerhouse, shouldn’t be having back-to-back seasons like this.

There are wars and rumors of war running rampant around the Bluegrass this week. With Charlotte Bobcats’ dismissal of the head coach, Bernie Bickerstaff, there is an opening for the position. If you recall, last summer there were rumors that Tubby would leave UK to take over that position in Charlotte. I am not sure what the circumstances were at that time. The word is Tubby is a real close friend to the majority owner, Robert L. Johnson, quite an admirable fellow with all his charity work. Also, Tubby is in good with the Basketball Operations Manager and “His Royal Airness,” Micheal Jordan. I even heard MJ’s kid wants to play for Tubby at UK next year. The career move is, no doubt, looking better and better. I am sure Tubby Smith will not be fired from his head coach position with Kentucky and he will leave on his own terms.

I am willing to bet anyone any amount of money the Wildcats will win tomorrow night. Any takers? Yeah, I knew it. You guys are so clever. You know Villanova’s mascot is the Wildcat, also. Man, I can’t get anything over on you. Seriously, Kentucky is my pick for this game. Biased decision? Definitely. Care? Not a dang bit. Go Blue!

On the saddest note of the past two weeks, there has been a death I must report. A dear friend of mine died a few days ago. Although we had only known each other since the end of December, we became really close. We had spent hour upon hour hanging out. A few of you had met my special friend who is no more. I know that you, too, had cherished the time spent with the departed. My Xbox 360 is no more. The flashing red lights came on around the power button appeared like a tear on Monday. Then, I shed my tears as a customer service rep from Microsoft said it had to be sent off to be re-instilled with life. The service rep’s thick Indian accent just held no comfort for me as I searched my feeling to see my friend gone. “Why?” I asked, over and over. There was no answer, only promises of free shipping and free repair. Sadly, I had to accept the fate my little Xbox 360 was dealt. Three weeks, including shipping and repairs? Too long, I went to Wal-Mart on Tuesday and bought a new one to play in the absence of my old one. Yep, some friend I am. MWUUHAHAHA!!!

All right, the “What would you do?” portion of the show is now commencing. After filling out the South Regional part of your NCAA bracket and realize you have placed Tennessee and Louisville in your regional championship, which team would you write in as going to the Final Four? Or would you throw your brackets away and start again? Tough questions. I am full of them.

My watch list for the Kentucky Derby starts this week with two dandies. Any Given Saturday, a Distorted Humor colt, is trained by Todd Pletcher. In his short career, AGS is 3 for 4 with wins in a maiden, an allowance, and the Sam F. Davis Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs. His only misfire was a second place finish last November in the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill Downs. This weekend he is back on the pledge at Tampa Bay Downs in the Tampa Bay Derby. He will be facing some stiff competition in the Breeder's Cup Juvenile winner Street Sense andKeeneland's Kentucky Futurity Cup winner Great Hunter, but my money is still on AGS. The other dandy is a filly (Whoa, you said filly? Yes, I did.) named Rags to Riches. She is out of A.P. Indy(cha-ching) and since breaking her maiden is undefeated and her last two wins were Grade 1's. Her last race, the mile and 1/16th Santa Anita Oaks, she won by five and 1/2 lengths under a hand ride. Also trained by Pletcher, Rags has already earned enough earnings to qualify her in the Kentucky Derby. Will she make it? Time will tell. Giddy-Up!

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • What's going to happen when you get your old Xbox back? Is it going to fight your new one?

    By Blogger Alisha, at 3/15/2007 6:49 PM  

  • If they do, they will have to take it to the 'tweet. You'll have to ask Chase what that means. Actually, I will probably keep it boxed up so they won't make eye contact. The eye contact is what makes them fight.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 3/16/2007 8:40 AM  

  • Your words about UK sting, yet they are so true. The only thing Tubby has going for him is that Patterson and Lucas want to play college ball together and UK is the only common denominator on their respective short lists. I am sure, though, that after Florida wins the NCAA in a couple weeks, Patterson will convince Lucas to add UF to his list.

    About the 360, I absolutely love the gameplay. I haven't played anything as smooth, ever. Then, again, I haven't played many PC games. I have converted Joel into a 360 fan after playing mine. he is going to buy my old one that is getting repaired. A buddy at work bought a PS3 when they came out. He kept it for a week and then took it back because it was no better than his 360. For the same amount of scratch as the PS3, you can add a HD DVD player to your 360.

    I played a Wii a couple of weeks ago at a buddy's house while we were shindiggin'. We played a bowling game. It was fun, but I don't know how much fun it would be playing by myself in the long run. And there is no comparison with the resolution. Nintendo never did compare.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 3/20/2007 8:28 AM  

  • What language are you speaking? You don't know about FPS until you see some Rainbow Six Vegas running 1080i on my HD system. I don't think you are seeing that on your PC. Guaranteed!

    Blu-Ray does look pretty tight, but when it messes up on the PS3 you lose the DVD player and the game console while you get it fixed.

    The Wii graphics that I played looked wack compared to anything else and it was on a HD TV. Similar to old Xbox. But it was not a great game for graphics.

    Not to sell anyone out, but Cuz Jason bought a UofL hat on Saturday.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 3/20/2007 12:52 PM  

  • Yeah, but I bet your monitor isn't a 32" widescreen, now is it? Get on the 360. Not saying it would compare to a mack daddy PC, but my FPS's roll without any hesitation.

    You know you are a fan of the blog.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 3/20/2007 4:23 PM  

  • Are you guys gonna cheer for the Salukis tomorrow? If UK beat Kansas I would be torn in two. My greater allegiance is to UK, but it would also be great to see a mid-major go deep.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 3/21/2007 10:00 AM  

  • Torok.

    You've got enough time to comment on blogs that you should start your own. C'mon.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 3/21/2007 1:22 PM  

  • Chase,
    I will absolutely be pulling for the Salukis to win. Even though I have Kansas to beat them in my money bracket, the college hoops purist in me makes me root for the underdog over a one seed. Go Salukis! RonJon would blog but he knows no one would read it except for me.

    RonJon,
    I knew in the end it would come down to you wanting to just play with your mouse. Or does coordination play role in your preference? What is your preference? Dang, I am on a roll. Yeah, I am out on the fishing. Six to 7 total hours of driving time for maybe 12 hours of fishing 3 in a boat in the rain doesn't justify the effort. Try to catch something other than Ance's ear.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 3/21/2007 4:40 PM  

  • Smell the sizzle. Feel the BURN. Everyone else got it.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 3/22/2007 8:54 AM  

  • Okay? Not sure where you were going with that one. Moving on.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 3/22/2007 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home