All I know is...

2.06.2007

Super Bowl Recap, Birthdays, and Such

Yes, Jonathon, my guess of the score was pretty close. 29-17 is not that far off from 31-14. There was a bobbled snap on an extra point that Vinateri would have, no doubt, drilled. There was also a Bears drive that the Colts defense just laid down on that ended up in a field goal for Chi-Town. I enjoyed the game. I think it is great that Peyton Manning will no longer have the whole “Dan Marino is one of the best QB's ever, but he never won a Super Bowl” thing over his head. As far as who the MVP award should go to, I think Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai were equally impressive. But, in the end, you have to give the MVP to Manning for his on the field performance and leadership. I think the third quarter drive that lasted for nearly 8 minutes, orchestrated by Peyton, happened to be the real deal-breaker for Chicago. That drive totally demoralized and gassed the Bears defense. The interception return by Hayden for the touchdown was just the icing on the cake. Great game. It had the third highest viewer ratings in Super Bowl history.

What about that halftime show? Prince? I think he is 47 years old and has not been in the pop charts for quite a spell. I like his music, but great choice? No, not really. "Proud Mary" by Credence Clearwater Revival and Foo Fighters’ "The Best of You"? His original songs weren’t that bad, but his guitar work was very rusty. I guess you could blame it on the rain. Yeah, how about Milli Vanilli? They would rock the halftime show.

Super Bowl Commercials? They were pathetic. I thought I was just watching regular primetime television. I can’t believe companies were paying $2.6M for the 30 second spots. And King Pharmaceuticals paid for a couple of spots that didn’t even mention their product. I would fire my entire marketing division if I were paying for these commercials. The only commercial I thought was outlandish enough to be a Super Bowl commercial was the Snickers commercial with the two dudes kissing. Shock factor was at an all-time high.

We had a great time over the weekend celebrating birthday after birthday. Beth and I took off work on Friday for her birthday, so Thursday night it started with a dinner at Dudley’s on South Mill Street. I had intended to try another shot at the food critiquing after dining there, but I was so uninspired by the meal, I think I will let this one go. There is one note of interest, however. They were offering antelope on the menu. I had to turn it down as much as it intrigued me.

Friday, we ate lunch at The Pub-Lexington over by the Fayette Mall. It was not bad and maybe, just maybe, I have found my new favorite beer. It is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Think Killian’s Irish Red with a smooth bourbon aftertaste. The food wasn’t bad either. I would definitely go back, but I just don’t know when. After schlepping it at the mall, carrying Beth’s bags for what seemed like days, we headed back to Da Pond for some Tiger Woods Golf on the XBox. Later on we went to Chili’s for some appetizers and a cold beer. Best chips and salsa in America.

On Saturday we rolled to the LC Plantation to visit Dad for his birthday. We watched the Loserville Cards take it from the Villanova Wildcats and Kentucky hand a road-dosing to Arkansas. Jodie Meeks took over that game in the second half. SEC Freshman of the Week two weeks in a row…I hope. Randolph Morris looked like a biznatch against Arkansas’ Hill—ponytail and all. After the game, Mom nailed a fried chicken dinner for us. If you weren’t there you definitely missed out. Back to Lex.

This weekend should be a time. On Saturday, Joel is having a birthday par-tay for Laura and himself in Leburn. Word on the street is Unit #899 has a barrel of Colorado Iced Lemonade on reserve. I hope I am able to make it down there. UK plays Florida at 9 p.m. on Saturday night. Joel, you get ESPN? If'n you do, maybe I’ll have to get on down there. Chase, Beth got your message and she said, “What, no effin' card?” Just kidding! She said thank you very much! I hope everyone stays warm this week. Looks like some snow is heading our way today. Better go buy some milk, bread, and eggs. Pond Doctor, out!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • With the week we've had, Beth's lucky to have gotten even a phone call. I'm sick and we're having car problems all on top of an unusually busy schedule. Crazy.

    Prince's guitar skills rusty? I would respectfully disagree. Some stuff didn't sound right, but I think it was the rain and just the usual fact that bands on television usually sound weird. Song selection was a little odd, but his guitar chops were as impressive as usual.

    I'm inching closer to my new blog location and design. Keep yer eyes peeled.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 2/06/2007 2:02 PM  

  • He hasn't been exactly tearing it up on the live music scene. So I feel rusty is the proper terminology to use, especially in the elements. I like Prince's musical capabilities, but I hear what I hear. Beth is one of the biggest Prince fans and she said it sounded awful.

    Hate to hear you have run aground on a hellish week.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 2/06/2007 3:56 PM  

  • I thought Beeth's B-day was on the 6th...I fell asleep, and it got too late to call..I'll call her tonight. Only difference between Prince and PRIDE are two letters, and you add one and so on and so on...until you get...well you know what I'm gettin' at. Super Bowl...how 'bout them Browns in the Super Bowl. Peyton Manning has a big forehead, but the mofo can lead a team to VICTORY. Prince did look like Aunt Jemima with that wrap or scarf on his/her head.

    By Blogger Alexandria, at 2/07/2007 1:20 AM  

  • Jon, I do get ESPN. Tell Beth Happy B-Day!

    By Blogger Alexandria, at 2/08/2007 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home