All I know is...

6.15.2007

The Weekend? Already?

Not expecting a two-fer, huh? Two in one week? What a privilege has been given to you? I like to keep you on your toes. Again we have found ourselves facing the weekend with an awkward stare. All week long, wishing and, in some cases, praying for that day to come, yet, we are asking ourselves, “What am I going to do now?” Beer? Always a viable option.

I don’t know if the ‘Pond faithful have heard the bad news coming from UK’s campus today. Apparently, UK’s injury-prone big man, Jared Carter, has re-injured his shoulder and is awaiting test results to determine the severity of the injury. To me this feels like salt poured in the open wound left by Randolph Morris. So, we are now looking at starting freshman, Pat Patterson, and still green, sophomore, Perry Stevenson, to control the inside? Someone, please give me some better options.

San Antonio kept it real. A four game sweep of Cleveland and viola, new NBA champs. A lot of people don’t like the Spurs because of their boring style of play. It almost seems like James Naismith is their coach. I guess he sort of is. Gregg Popovitch and James Naismith, inventor of the game of basketball, went to grade school together. Not really, that was a joke, but both coached basketball at the University of Kansas at some point in their careers. Popovitch and his old school style of play, ha ha, get it? Not funny? Moving on, then.

I honestly can’t understand how a team like Cleveland even made it to the NBA Finals. For the life of me, I cannot remember the last time a team with one marquee player lead a team to the finals. Refreshers, please? How did this team beat the talent packed Pistons in the semifinals? A few will disagree, but the officiating in the series with Detroit was horrendous with most of the bad calls going on way. “Do you believe?” In bull honkery, now I do. I still am sticking to the notion that David Stern decided since LeBron James was the league’s most exciting and franchise-able player, that he would get the Cavs to the Finals and, once there, would be on their own. (In my best Yoda voice) “Fell like the Empire, they did.”

I had called Dad the day after Cleveland beat out Detroit in the semifinals. I asked him who he thought would win the championship. His reply:

Whoever the NBA wants to win.”

The bottom line from your Daddy!

I honestly like to watch LeBron James. I would consider myself a fan of his. I’m not a fan of the Cavs, just James’. I didn’t even like Cleveland when Tim Couch played for the Browns. Cleveland may rock, but it is not my song. Anyways, in the finals, James just wasn’t clutch when the great ones need to be great. He kept a turnover average that would have made UK’s Ramel Bradley look like All-SEC first team material. He’s just not “King” James material, yet. He’s getting better, though. He has a lot to take away from this four-game sweep--a great learning experience.

Our company golf scramble is tomorrow. I have been assigned to a drinking team with a golfing problem. It might be a long day. I just hope I make it to B-Dubs in time to watch the UFC 72 pay-per-view at 3 p.m. Who you got? Franklin or Okami? My money is on Yushin Okami. Check it.
P.S. Les, I haven’t heard any rumors about a contract for a Perdue/UK basketball series.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

  • Randall shoots straight again. Only thing he hates more than the NBA? People who call him Randy.

    We're thinking about a trip to the great state around the week of the Fourth. I'd love to tag team a grill with you on Lost Creek if it's possible.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 6/15/2007 4:33 PM  

  • I stand by the fact the Spurs really only beat the Suns in one game. They rest were lost due to bad refs, commissionars (damn, work needs firefox to fix my spelling), or outdated rules.

    And the West is only getting better with Oden and Durant both going to west teams. There are also more teams over the cap in the West. The only team that really spends money in the East is the Knicks.

    When does the NFL start up again?

    By Blogger Torok, at 6/15/2007 5:53 PM  

  • Chase, here lies the problem. I need to know by the end of this week exactly what days you guys will be in Lost Creek so I can schedule my holiday travel plans accordingly. The word is a fish fry will be going down, whenever that day is. I got a place here in Lex that sells bluegill filets for $10 a 3 pound bag. Whaaat? Yes. You read it correctly.

    Amen, Jonathan. Any team that came out of the West was going to beat the Cavs. The Suns were potentially the best team in the NBA. Hell, Nash got ripped off in the MVP award. Stern has got to be shaking his head after giving it to No-wits and his team losing quick in the first round.

    But, I know the East isn't that bad. The Piston's would have actually won at least one game. The Heat would have been a deep playoff team if Wade would have been healthy for the majority of the season. What are you going to do? NFL is great. College football is mo' betta.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 6/18/2007 8:48 AM  

  • I'm not into college football much. Not enough good players imo.

    I think Dallas played better than Miami last year, and I don't think Miami is that good. Of course, I never thought Shaq was that good either. He just bowls people over. He would have been much more fun to watch as a Defenisive End.

    You're right in that Detroit would have played much better against the Spurs, and possibly could have beaten them. Rasheed is as good at defending Duncan as anyone, and Weber/Sheed could have pulled duncan out of the lane. Prince could shut down Ginobli. Prince had a hard time with Lebron because of his strength.

    I've got a few days of time off around the 4th, and I thought some of the family might visit Lost Creek.

    By Blogger Torok, at 6/20/2007 9:58 AM  

  • College football is more than the NFL will ever be. More viewership. Just go to your local watering hole on the first Saturday in September. I guarantee you there will be more people there than what will be there Sunday afternoon for NFL. The only downside is you have to listen to people like Brent Mussberger.

    As far as Dallas playing better than Miami, no. No way. Nowitzki choked up the entire final series, just like he did this year in the first round. And just like Wade said he would.

    Shaq is the best center of all time. Maybe the most revolutionary player in the game. He redefined what it takes to come inside. Plus, he fights child predators online.

    Detriot couldn't have beat the Spurs or the Suns, even though I would have been rooting for them. Rasheed played like crap in the series against the Cavs. I am sure that would have carried over. If you notice, Webber and Sheed don't play that much together. Parker was the magic that made it happen for the Spurs. No one on their roster was going to stop him.

    Your argument is lame, anyway. Nothing but hypotheticals.

    The Creek aint' going anywhere. Come on down. Mom said the fish fry was off though. Burgers and dogs anyone?

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 6/20/2007 12:28 PM  

  • I didn't say college football wasn't popular, just not for me. I still like to watch some of the bowl games at the end of the season when they have good matchups and the players/teams are more well rounded. When was the last NFL game as good as the USC-Texas championship game? I don't really know because I don't think I saw it.

    Shaq pushes people down on offence , simple as that. I saw Russell being asked if he was better than Shaq. He asked, "Are we playing the rules now or then?" Also, Shaq would be nothing in the Olympics, and thats why he would never play for his country. Shaq is up there, but I don't know if where he is in the Chamberlain, Kareem, Russell, Walton (too bad he had bum ankles), Hakeem, Moses Malone, etc. He is obviously the least skilled of the top centers, but probably the most gifted athletically.

    I think Miami got calls in that finals series. Look it up, and you'll see other (non-partial journalists) agree. I'll admit that I was not a dedicated viewer of the series though, so I could be wrong.

    Are you guys cooking it up on the 4th? before, after?

    By Blogger Torok, at 6/20/2007 4:09 PM  

  • Shaq gets smacked three times a shot, so I calls it even stevens. You're quote of Bill Russell was pretty much his way of saying, "Shaq is my daddy! There was no one as massive and dominating when I played the game." Heck, Elgin Baylor was one of the best big men of all time and he was only 6'6". Shaq wouldn't even let him see the rim.

    Hello McFly....Shaq played on the Olympic team in 1996. Averaged 10 points a game and lead all olympic teams in blocks and his team in rebs.

    You argument is subjectional. Cleveland fans won't say they got any calls in the series with Detroit. From the series I watched in 2006. Miami wasn't the commisioner's team. Dallas was. You look up the numbers, homey. Methinks you are uninformed.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 6/20/2007 4:39 PM  

  • I was wrong about Shaq, but it turns out Barkley led in rebounds. Shaq was 12-23 from the free throw line. I guess Hack a Shaq had not become popular yet.

    If you want size, what about Chamberlain? Of course, Russell dominated Chamberlain.

    There were several questionable calls in game 3 and 4 of the series. I think some of this was just do to bad refs (why the NBA doesn't just use their best in the playoffs, I have no idea). Don't forget stackhouse being suspended for a game on a joke of play.

    By Blogger Torok, at 6/26/2007 5:59 PM  

  • Shaq's playing time was minimal in 1996. If you check the team records, David Robinson got the most PT of the big men. Shaq could have potentially grabbed more boards than Barkley.

    You're worse than this dude I work with. You don't ever actually watch a sporting event, do you? You just read about them and act like you know all about it. Dad said to believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

    Or do you just argue for argument's sake?

    Methinks it is the later. Fish fry is back on for, I think, Tuesday night. You had better come on down. Holla!

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 6/27/2007 8:15 AM  

  • Do you want me to download the games and mark all the times of bad calls for you? I know I saw the play where stackhouse fouled shaq and then got suspended for the next game. It was a joke of a call.

    I do watch a lot of sports. Lots of NFL games, college basketball (until this past year, maybe because I was so uninterested in the Cats season). I ususally watch a lot of NBA as well. I stopped watching the playoffs this year after the Suns got robbed though.

    I have W,TH,F off, and I don't think I can get anyone else to come down with me, and I don't want to pay for 2 tanks of gas myself (I'm cheap), so I don't think I'll be down. I know I can't be there Tuesday though.

    By Blogger Torok, at 6/27/2007 11:00 AM  

  • Ending this here. Our agrument, which always happens, is so far off topic, it is pointless. Download the games, watch them one-sidedly as you can(because that's what I would do), and make point after point for the Mavs. I would re-watch the same games and note just as many no-calls or BS calls that went Dallas' way. Yes, the Stackhouse foul was pretty much crap. However, that didn't end the contention for the Mavs.

    Two things:

    1) You didn't watch the series. Fact.

    2) You didn't download all the games of the series and watch them. Fact.

    It is obvious you are arguing for argument's sake. And when Shaq is healthy, he is the best center in the league. Don't hate the player. Hate the crappy league and what it lets its players do.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 6/27/2007 12:21 PM  

  • Shaq is good, but Shaq would have been even a better player if he had come out in the 70s. Its like how Kareem had to learn his hook shot in college because they wouldn't let him dunk. As it is now, he is the least skilled of the top centers of all time.

    I did watch I believe 3 of the 6 games in the series. I know Dallas tanked the last game like they did in the first round this year. Dirk obiviously can't take win or go home pressure.

    By Blogger Torok, at 6/28/2007 9:40 AM  

  • ...last word.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 6/29/2007 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home