All I know is...

7.20.2006

"Son, You Have No Business Traveling That Fast"

"When the wind blows and the rain feels cold
With a head full of snow,
With a head full of snow.
In the window there's a face you know.
Don't the nights pass slow.
Don't the nights pass slow."

“The sound of strangers sending nothing to my mind,

Just another mad, mad day on the road.
I am just living to be lying by your side,
But I'm just about a moonlight mile on down the road”

-“Moonlight Mile” Sticky Fingers album, written by M. Jagger and K. Richards

For those of you who don’t know, that would be the Rolling Stones. This probably is my favorite song they recorded. I first heard it during the opening credits of the Sopranos’ episode “Cold Stones” of season six. Carlo Gervasi, the cook at Satriale’s was chopping up Fat Dom’s body to get rid of it. But, this somber selection from the Stones’ 1971 release, “Sticky Fingers,” takes us to a somber place with an air of regret, if you will, for this event. Repercussions will be felt. It is just a matter of time.

Okay, I really don’t have a whole lot going on right now. I thought I would just give you a short update. My buddy Dug-E-Fresh came to town this past weekend. It was really good to be able to hang out with him. Fortunately, Dug is moving into town to work at the new Lowe’s on Sir Barton, so we spent Saturday afternoon finding him an apartment and a pretty swank one at that. The Summit behind Brighton Place is where Dug will have his new Digs. Ha. Ha. Dig Dug.

I get to spend this evening in the nice confines of the Ramada Inn Convention Center on Paris Pike for traffic school. This will be such great fun. I can hardly wait to learn about the importance of safe driving and how my irresponsible driving affects others. I bet you want to go with me, huh? Ah, well. Off to school I go. Hey Joel, maybe I will see Wild Will from D & K Healthcare over there.

Check out that Stones’ song. I bet you add it to your playlist.
P.S. This is my 50th post anniversary! Hooray.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Congratulations on the 50 post mark. You know that I haven't ever counted my posts. I forgot to celebrate my one-year anniversary too. Oh well.

    Ahhh... the joys of traffic school. Illinois gives you the option of doing it online. It takes like 3 1/2 hours total, but you can do it at your own pace and sections at a time. That was pretty good. I still waited to the last week to finish it though. Er... I mean... I hear they let you do it online.

    And I'll try to check out that Stones' song. I've tried to get into them in the past, but I really only get "Wild Horses", "You Can't Always Get What You Want", and "Beast of Burden." Oh... and "Paint It Black." Big ups to Tour of Duty. To me, the Stones always seemed to be trying to sound Beatles-esque on their poignant tracks and like baudy bar music on their honky tonk/bluesy stuff. I still respect them though. They've inspired too many great bands to count them out.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 7/21/2006 11:44 AM  

  • Beatles' butt. We all know the greatest music makers out of London is Led Zeppelin. I would have to say the Stones second. But, I may be partial. I never got into the Beatles. I won't discredit them. But, by the music I prefer to listen to, Stones have the edge in the influence dept.

    Check out "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" by the Stones. It's a dandy as well. The music more than the lyrics.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 7/21/2006 2:09 PM  

  • I agree with you on the Beatles. I don't really think they're that special, but I think the Stones caught some vapors. And you're right that the Stones probably influenced the bands you prefer more than the Beatles did. Even though Zack Wylde did cover the Beatles.

    And I also agree that Led Zeppelin takes the cake... or scone as it were. Talking about it makes me want to rush down to Cherokee and through a rat-l-trap in the water and get the Led out.

    As a side note, Alisha and I are going to the state of the Volunteers today. Gonna see shows tonight and tomorrow and kick it with some friends.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 7/22/2006 1:23 PM  

  • The Beatles were too busy blowing bubbles with their gum to even come close to the seriousness that was kicking in the Stones scene. Sympathy for the Devil, Paint It Black, Gimmie Shelter, Under My Thumb...can't top them. And they are still together. No Ono could keep them from doing what rocks! Beatles could have proved me wrong, but we will never know.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/11/2006 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home