All I know is...

4.27.2006

Pick a Winner

The word on the street is Keeneland was not as kind this past weekend, but I had a good time hanging out with some old fraternity brothers from the ‘Head. We met at the alumni meeting around 9 a.m. at the ReMax building on Palumbo. After the meeting, I scooped up Brandon from his house and we all met up in the parking lot of Keeneland for some pre-first post tailgating. From there, the day went along with my luck. I wasn’t totally all bust. I cashed a few tickets in. Plus, I really didn’t bet real heavy.

I am really looking forward to the Derby. It always seems to have good money in it. The trouble is just picking through the trash to find the runners. A friend at work has keyed me in on a late stretch runner named Jazil (pronounced JAZ-uhl, not Juh-ZEEL). This horse almost ran down frontrunner Bob and John in the 1 1/8 mile Wood Memorial at Oaklawn. I suspect the extra eighth in the Derby will give him more room to run down the stretch. Trained by Kiaran McLaughlin and son of Seeking the Gold out of Mr. Prospector, should have great dollar value when post time hits on May 6. If the speed is right, Jazil should close like a beast, much like the way he did in the Wood Memorial.

Another horse that I feel could be a threat is Steppenwolfer. Get over the cool name. This horse is an early closer with a good turn of foot around the 3/8ths pole. I am not very familiar with his trainer, Daniel Peitz. He is based out of Arkansas and trained Grade 1-winner Capote Belle. He was clearly the second best horse in the Lawyer Ron-owned Arkansas Derby. A too much, too early pace could put him in the roses-laden winner circle on May 6.

That’s enough of that. I am heading to Charleston, W.Va. this weekend for my niece’s birthday. It should be a cool trip, but we have to come back on Saturday. Beth has to be in Columbus, OH for business on Sunday afternoon. Maybe I’ll get a chance to watch Long Duck Dong at O’Neills Irish Pub on Saturday night.

You guys have a good week and hopefully I will give you my final Derby thoughts by next Thursday. That way we will have on paper my handicapping prowess. Until then….get yo ass out the kitchen, we on a mission.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home