All I know is...

8.02.2006

This Picture Speaks for Itself

If ever there was a horse that was “Da Man”, I am pretty sure it would be Bernardini. For those of you not familiar with the name, I will drop some knowledge for you. Bernardini was the horse that ran away with the Preakness Stakes after the mighty Barbaro pulled up and suffered the career ending injury to his right hind leg. Several people, mostly people who aren’t regular horseplayers, said Bernardini would have been a nice second place horse to Barbaro in the Preakness if his disaster had been averted. I say neigh, neigh.

Bernardini, the Thomas Albertrani-trained colt out of A.P. Indy and Cara Rafaela, stormed away this past weekend at Saratoga with another 9-length strike on the field in the $500,000 Jim Dandy Stakes. A horseplayer would ask me, “Don’t you think it is a bit early to be calling Bernardini ‘Da Man’? This is only his fifth race and none against older horses.” Nope and I’ll tell you why. During previous races, Bernardini preferred to stalk the pace, usually suspending himself on the rail near fourth or fifth position. He (and when I say “he”, I am referring to horse and jock as one) would wait until the three-eigths pole and make his move. During the Jim Dandy, Bernardini held the lead at the first turn and never relinquished it the entire race.

Another question ensues. “Horses do that all the time. What makes this special coming from Bernardini?” Tell me what you think about this fact? (Answering a question with a question, that has to tick off this guy asking the questions, huh?) Javier Castellano never raised the whip to his ride the entire race. There was no urgency in Javier’s ride the entire home stretch and, as a matter of fact, I am pretty sure he let Bernardini coast in his final eighth for the 9-length win. That is why Bernardini is “Da Man”.

My time served in state traffic school was the easiest stretch I have had to pull so far. The previous stints I spent in this class consisted of me staring at the clock and wishing to be elsewhere. Why should I have cared? I didn’t pay for my car insurance at that time. It was just one speeding ticket I got because a police officer got lucky. I could get a few more and still not lose my license. No, this time, I must say, was quite different. To start off, I can honestly say that I was quite embarrassed for having to be there in the first place. In high school, it was almost a cool rite-of-passage as a teenager to attend traffic school. You would discuss it with your buddies like you were the reason Rebel Without a Cause was written. No, I was really disappointed in myself.

My instructor was State Police Captain Tim Lucas. He is the supervising officer over the Kentucky State Police Academy. Since recently attending the graduation ceremony of the State Police Academy, I was well aware of who he was. After mentioning Joel was my brother, Captain Lucas immediately paid extra attention to myself. He also asked me to speak with him during the break so he could catch up with how Joel was doing at Post 13. “Great,” I thought to myself. As the class started, my instructor seemed to have an intense knowledge of the facts and arguments he presented to us. This made the ordeal seem more interesting.

I found myself paying a great deal of attention and barely even noticing the clock. Each time the class was called for a break, I looked forward to the short conversations with Captain Lucas about my brother. Before I knew it, the time had already reached that golden moment when it was time to adjourn. As I was leaving, I thanked Captain Lucas for the pleasure to make his acquaintance and how I wished it had come under a far better circumstance. He laughed. I was a free man, fully atoned for my highway sins. And felt better for doing so.

Well, this weekend should be pretty interesting. Joel and Alex, I am looking forward to your visit this weekend. I am sure we will have a great time in the flood zone that is called Island Pond.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home