All I know is...

8.11.2006

You Can't Handle the Truth

I don't know why I keep on believin’ you need me,
When you prove so many times that it ain't true,
And I can't find one good reason for staying,
Maybe by leaving would be the best for you,

But these rose colored glasses, that I'm looking through,
Show only the beauty, cause they hide all the truth,

And they let me hold on to the good times, the good lines,
The ones I used to hear when I held you,
And they keep me from feeling so cheated, defeated,
When reflections in your eyes show me a fool.

These rose colored glasses, that I'm looking through,
Show only the beauty, cause they hide all the truth,

So I just keep on hopin’, believin’ that maybe,
By countin’ the many times I've tried,
You'll believe me when I say I love you and
I'll lay these rose colored glasses aside,

These rose colored glasses, that I'm looking through,
Show only the beauty, cause they hide all the truth.”
-“Rose Colored Glasses” by John Conlee

I had to reference the entire song because today is Mr. John Conlee’s 60th birthday. This is, hands down, my favorite country music song to date. There could be a future song written that could top this one, but the direction of country music (if that’s what you want to call it) currently pretty much shoots that down.

Sad to say, the newest country music album I own is a Trace Adkins greatest hits album. And I am not saying that is sad on my part. I am saying, without flinching, it is sad on the part of the country musicians laying down tracks today. Sure, Montgomery Gentry has some entertaining hits that I really dig, but really, it’s just not country. This is where I will give a little history.

The forefather of the “That Ain’t Country” movement was a fellow by the name of Charley Rich. He had a few great songs like “When We Get Behind Closed Doors” and “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World”. During the 1975 Country Music Awards, Charley was announcing the winner of the Male Entertainer of the Year. As he read the envelope announcing John Denver as the winner, he casually flipped open his lighter and burned the envelope right there on stage. This all appeared to be a stab at the Music Row-controlled Nashville Sound.

A perpetuator of the movement in more current years (and one of my favorite musicians) is Larry Cordle (writer of “Highway 40 Blues” performed by Ricky Skaggs and “Lonesome Standard Time” by Kathy Mattea). Larry, a Paintsville, Kentucky native, penned a now famous tune sang by the likes of Alan Jackson and later recorded by himself on the album titled the same, “Murder on Music Row”. Here is a sample of his distaste for today's country music:

Nobody saw him running from Sixteenth Avenue
They never found a fingerprint or the weapon that was used.
Someone killed country music.
Cut out its heart and soul.
They got away with murder down on Music Row.

The almighty dollar and the lust for worldwide fame
Slowly killed tradition and for that someone should hang.
They all say “Not Guilty”,
But the evidence will show
That murder was committed down on Music Row.

For the steel guitars no longer cry
And you can’t hear fiddles play,
With drums and rock-n-roll guitars
Are mixed right up in your face.
Well, Ol’ Hank wouldn’t have a chance
On today’s radio.
They’ve committed murder down on music row
.”

This is probably the main reason that I am a huge fan of Larry Cordle. He is quite the traditionalist. I feel we see eye to eye. He was an accounting classmate of my father’s at Morehead State. Dad told me one time Larry showed up for an early Monday morning class looking like warmed over hell. Larry said to Dad, “Randall, this music is gonna kill me!”
That’s how I feel about the subject.

This past weekend was a heck of a time. We had some fun in Lexington for sure. I slayed some ribs on the grill this weekend. They were nothing less than funktastic. We even got in a few games of cornhole. Alex, you’re one of the best cornholers I’ve seen. Joel, you’re the worst female cornholer I’ve seen. Yeah, take it, 899. We were 2301!!!
Got to go.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

  • I'd never heard the story about Charley Rich burning the envelope. That's pretty interesting stuff, but I don't know what to make of it. It's kinda like when Eddie Vedder accepted the 1995 Grammy Award for "Best Hardrock Performace" for Spin the Black Circle. He said something to the effect of, "This doesn't mean anything." I appreciate the sentiment he was going for, but the fact that you show up for the ceremony almost undermines your statement. Fiona Apple pulled similar shenanigans at the 1997 MTV Music Awards.

    If Rich was against the Nashville machine, then he probably shouldn't particpate in the pageantry. Don't get me wrong. I agree with the sentiment that money-making machines like the music industry often marginalize the best music as to appeal to the broadest audiences. But the issue is not the music industry, but capitalism. That's the nature of the game.

    It's like when people grumble about Wal-Mart putting smaller stores out of business (like Maloney's). I believe without a doubt that K-Mart would put Wal-Mart out of business if it could. Wal-Mart just has the best business model. I try to tell people it's not Wal-Mart's fault so long as they're functioning within the limits of the law.

    That is a weird tangent from something as simple and beautiful as a heartfelt country lyric, but my mind works in weird ways sometimes.

    P.S.> I am not advocating an overthrow of capitalism.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 8/15/2006 12:43 PM  

  • Fellas, I like Wal-Mart. Yes, it has hired illegals immigrants before. But, it has the cheapest groceries in town and they give people like Jess business cars. I have nothing agaist Wallace World unless it tries to record some crappy pop music and call it country.

    As far as showing up for the pageantries, if you were Charley Rich, why not show up for some free booze and goodie bags, especially when you are a lush to start with? You're not supporting it, you are sticking it to the man! Which, I feel, is the basis of country anyways. "Take this job and shove it..."

    Plus, as the record indicates, you have ampletime(no jokes here) to demonstrate your dissatisfaction with the current trend.

    P.S. Don't bring Eddie Shedder in a conversation about country music. People like him are the reason I really don't listen to that genre of message-spewing music anymore. How about just play good music and have a nice tall glass of "shut it"?

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/15/2006 4:23 PM  

  • Torok

    Wal-Mart jumped into this because my mind works in fairly random ways. Yet, it's all connected. That was my way of saying, "Don't hate the playa, hate the game." If they're breaking laws, then prosecute dem boogers. Anyway, I'm a Kroger man... and I love me some farmer's market.

    Deezy

    Sorry for the Shedder reference. If Rich wanted to make a real scene he should've just called in the Four Horsemen and threw John Denver in the Figure 4. Whoo!

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 8/15/2006 5:33 PM  

  • John Denver wasn't on hand to accept his award nor his Figure 4. I think I would have chosen to lay the flying lariat, a.k.a. the swinging neckbreaker, a la Dirty Dick Slater, on him.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/16/2006 4:23 PM  

  • Well Jon I really dont care about all this crap....all I care is that I am one kick ass cornhole player. Jon, imagine if they had coed teams. AMAZING

    Alex

    By Blogger Alexandria, at 8/17/2006 12:12 AM  

  • Alex, the word you are looking for is *****AWESOME*****. Make JEOL say it just like that.

    Oh, and "all this crap"? This is some serious stuff we are discussing here. Does Joel know about Troy Lee Gentry and his current trouble with the law?

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/17/2006 8:58 AM  

  • Chineese?

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/17/2006 12:39 PM  

  • J-deez, I do know about my boy
    T-Roy, and sometimes you just hafta shoot Binky the bear. Oh yeah, let us all remember that Wal-Mart did employ Jess at one time and they even gave him two business cars....the camaro and the tinky TA....that my friend was ******AWESOME*******

    By Blogger Alexandria, at 8/17/2006 1:26 PM  

  • Calvin got a job...

    By Blogger Alexandria, at 8/17/2006 1:28 PM  

  • Such is the nature of the global marketplace. Perhaps my original point was confounded by bringing Wal Mart into the picture.

    I do not refute Wal Mart's unethical practices here in the States or illegal practices elsewhere. I do agree that the current structure of the music industry lends itself to manufactured music that is mediocre at best, across genres. I just think that too many dissenters point their energies in the wrong direction. Even if people boycott Wal Mart and it goes under, the system still remains that allows companies to become that powerful. Same with record companies.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 8/17/2006 3:04 PM  

  • There is nothing wrong with what Wal-Marts (big-ups to Granny B) does that puts smaller local markets out of business. That is what free enterprising is all about. Like Cheesay said, their business model is not illegal. As far as comparing Wal-Mart to country music, that's like comparing hog teets and boar arses. Talk about the conversation at hand. I don't need electric geetars with whammy bars and symphonies behind my music.

    Yes, Calvin is now gainfully employed, but dang, he smells like french fries.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/17/2006 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home