All I know is...

9.27.2005

The Anti-Fan, Fan

Have you ever had conversation about a sports team with someone who claims they are one of the biggest fans? Yet, this person can't say anything good about the team or the game in question. I am speaking of the same kind of "fan" that always compares the current team to the teams of the past--where the team is never as good as they once were. Well....

I had one of those conversations the other day. No matter what good point about the team I brought up, the response was always negative. (Not that all his points were invalid. Some were very true). Dude said he knew the team in question(Pittsburgh Steelers) was going to suffer a defeat as early as the second quarter. At that point and time until halfway through the third quarter, the Steelers were ahead 10-7. This person went on to say the boneheaded play by Antwaan Randle El (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/recap?gameId=20050925023), didn't bother him. The play was an improv hook and ladder after Randle El had already gained forty yards from a reception and muffed the lateral to a caught-off-guard Hines Ward, who was getting ready to throw a block. The result was a Pittsburgh fumble. It didn't lead to a New England score, but the Steelers would have been on their own 15 yard line. This was probably the worst play of the game and season, so far. Super Fan was also upset that Big Ben didn't appear as if he came to play. Ask any NFL quarterback, whose O-Line crumbles constantly (i.e. Chad Pennington, J.P. Losman, Kurt Warner), how hard it is to look like you came get the job done. I am sure they will tell you it's REAL hard.

Later on, I asked this #1 Steelers fan what he thought about the extra 52 seconds on the game clock in the fourth quarter. In essence, the game would have been decided in overtime. Adam Vinateri's last field goal with one tick left would have been for nada. He said the Steelers didn't deserve to win because of the way they played the entire game. I don't know about you, but I always thought whoever was in the lead at the end of the game(or overtime) usually won. To end the conversation, he stated he was not a pessimistic fan. I had to stop listening at that point. I couldn't respond without playing him back everything he had just said, but (Dang me!) I had left my tape recorder at home.

Later on that day, another fan of the Steelers spoke of his conversation with the same dude. He said the whole time they were discussing the game, he felt like he had to defend the same team this Supa Dupa Fan was busting on. The defender of the Steelers also said an extreme Bengals fan he talked to about the game wasn't even that harsh. I say, you need to check and see if you are still wearing the black and gold and calling Heinz Field home. Otherwise, throw in your Terrible Towel.

Sorry for the rant. Please give me some insight, if possible.

2 Comments:

  • Your assessment is pretty accurate of the anti-fan, fan syndrome. I suffer from the fan out of water syndrome. I love UK basketball, but away from a healthy community of like-minded brethern, I lose touch with news about recruits, schedule, and all things related. I feel like a phony when I actually do talk to someone who knows what's going on.

    P.S.> Alisha called in the tuxedo measurements today. The one with the sequins, right?

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 9/27/2005 11:35 PM  

  • I can see the problem you suffer. My only solution for you is to move back to Kentucky. No, not sequins. Our tuxedos were the ones with feathered boas. And when you talk to someone about UK basketball, just joke with them and say "Man, is Shegari's head getting bigger or what? Dang bobblehead--or should I say bobblehands!"

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 9/28/2005 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home