All I know is...

9.06.2005

Labor Day News

That weekend did not last long enough. I know you guys can sympathize, especially those who ended up traveling most of the weekend. It seems as if all of my three and four day weekends always end up in excursions to my parents, Beth's parents, or elsewhere. I love visiting people, but I am waiting for the day when I can say, "Beam me up, Scotty!"

Beth and I journeyed to Breathitt County this weekend to see my parents. And of course, hit up the Honey Festival (the annual county festival to celebrate the local honey production or the lack thereof). I mainly use the Honey Festival as a means to partake in carnie (spelled right?) food. You know the sort...funnel cakes, blooming onions, corndogs, etc. And speaking of the corndogs, this was the selling point of the festival for Beth. I had ranted to her about the deliciousness of the festival favorite. And, yes, she loves corndogs in general.

Once at the festival, we rendezvoused with my Uncle David, Aunt Carol, and cousin David Kyle to watch the parade. My cousin and daughter of the aforementioned elders, Courtney, was in the parade. The parade itself was not disappointing, but being used as target practice for munchkins with taffy and lollipop shaped projectiles was. Ten feet away, these kids are reaching back like Derek Jeter to throw out somebody at first base. Beth was busted in the noggin by her favorite candy, a melted Reese's peanut butter egg. How ironic?

After the parade was over, it was corndog thirty. Universal corndog eating time. Everyone descended on the 4-H booth to collect their bounty. Fortunately, I was near the front of the line. After receiving four piping hot corndogs for us to share, the culmination of the long hot morning was nearing its acme. CRUNCH! What? These corndogs aren't what used to be. They were not as sweet, nor as crunchy as the bars of gold I once consumed as a youngster. Crap!
Well, honestly, they weren't that bad, but they weren't what they used to be either. I can't honestly say I have ever eaten a bad corndog. Just letting those who missed out know, you didn't really miss out. Just go buy some State Fair brand hotdogs and bake the crap out of them.

Saturday night back in Lexington, we ate dinner at El Chico over in the Beaumont Center off of Harrodsburg Road. This is a pretty tasty Mexican joint. It also has some C-list patrons. I saw Kenny "Sky" Walker at the bar. The bartender was some young guy from Louisville who was getting on the "Sky's" nerves. So bad, in fact, he got up from the bar and sat down with two random Joes sitting across from the bar. Funny.

I watched the UK/UofL game Sunday with my brother in law-from Louisville. It wasn't too painful, as he isn't much of a trash talker,"Thanks David!" UK, however, did not let me down this weekend. But, you say, "J-Deezy, they got beat!" I say, "Only by naked eye of those who watched the game and saw the score." Ha! Ha! They really did impress me, though. I just hope the Cats keep up the intensity of their second half through the SEC play. They can be a good team. They just need to can Mike Archer, the defensive-nimwit-coordinator. The offense looked pretty good, thanks to Joker Phillips.

After the game, we joined some friends and old acquaintances who went to the game. For the most part, I would say they had too good of a time, if you know what I'm saying. Not an intelligent conversation to be found. Shoot, one guy even told me that Miller High Life Light was crappy beer. I responded thusly, "Yes, little man, it is, but I like it and I won't make you drink it. Nor will I ask if you would like one!" Ha! Take that Little Dan.

Enough of this nonsense for now. Football is underway. Go get fitted for your tux if you haven't already. Wedding train is rolling! Go on, now!

1 Comments:

  • Oh snap. I almost forgot about that. I'll get fitted ASAP to make your role in the wedding process as seamless as possible.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 9/07/2005 12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home