All I know is...

9.13.2005

Jon, Joel's Calling. Are You Gonna Answer?

The middle of September roars in like a lion with 90 degree heat here in the bluegrass. It hasn't really rained in.....well, since the remnants of Katrina deposited a couple of inches of precipitation, locally. Yet, my grass continues to grow. It is especially dewy in the mornings and I figure it must be enough moisture to generate growth in the front yard. I have enough gas in my gas can for one more lawn mowing. Do I: A) Suck it up and mow it today and mow again next week? B) Wait until this weekend and mow so, hopefully, I won't have to mow anymore this year? or C) Don't mow it again until next spring? More than likely, A) will be the reality of my decision. I hate seeing an unkempt yard.

My brother Joel was excused from the academy a day early last week. He stopped by on Thursday night on his way back to Richmond. Joel sat his chompers down on probably the best bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich he ever ate. I have perfected this sandwich. The key (so no one should ever miss out) is to oven toast the bread with butter. Yep, that's it. This makes a great sandwich an O-some sandwich.

Joel came back down on Saturday to coincide with my cousin Jess's visit. The visit wasn't all pleasure, however. J and J had to go get fitted for their tuxes for my wedding. After the tux fitting, we went over to Kroger to get some grub to throw on the barbie. We decided on burgers with some onions and mushrooms. Yep, it was all fie fie delishe. Jess threw some of his Dale's burgers together, while Joel talked on the phone. Thanks, Joel. Joel's roomate, A-Ron, came over to eat some grub and make the fourth in some Cornish Hole action (don't ask-see comments from "2005 Abner Family Reunion and a Cat No One Could Find" blog). We threw our arms off and kept score fairly, thanks to the future in-laws' birthday gift(cornhole scoreboard and beer holders).

Jess began to wax philosophical poetic to the audience. Joel chucked one in the hole on the first throw.
Jess: "Ooo, Jon. Joel's calling. Are you gonna answer?"
Jon: "What?"
Jess: "He's got one in."
Jon: --cornhole--
Jess: "Ooo, Joel! Jon answered!"
Joel: "That's okay. I'll put him on hold."

Then, Joel proceeded to accumulate a mound of bags on the board, whilst I deposited none. I think he disconnected my phone. The phone related comments went from there everytime someone would score on the first toss. Soon, we were saying we were texting each other, setting up conference calls, crank calling, etc., everytime someone would score first. A very silly conversation, I know.

Wasn't it great to watch some football this weekend? UK won. They beat a poor Idaho State (Div. I AA), barely. When I say "poor", I don't mean I feel sorry for them "poor". I mean they were broke-ass. This Idaho State team plays three universities from Montana in the Big Sky conference. I didn't know the state of Montana had three universities. I have changed my mind about UK football. So, UK football is ragged, what's new?

Pigg and I went over to this new Irish Pub off of Harrodsburg Road in the Palomar Center called Beef 'O' Brady's to watch the Pittsburgh game. It was pretty cool. They had good wings and great onion rings to go along with the games and they had ALL the games. I counted 14 TVs and 2 projection widescreens. There were around a hundred people there and one Chicago Bears fan(not sure if you can classify them as a person). And wouldn't you know, he was the loudest cuss there. I don't know if you watched the Bears/Redskins game, but the final score was 9-7, Redskins. From just listening to the guy, you would have thought the Bears were beating them 40-0. I finally figured out that he was going bonkers over every first down or big tackle. The same kind of bonkers I go when I hit a $200 trifecta at Keeneland. Obscene.

My company picnic is this Saturday. It's four hours long, but they will be giving away twenty $50 gas cards and gift cards every hour, on the hour. With today's gas prices, you can't afford to miss that. Plus, there will be free burgers and hot dogs with all the free ice cream you can eat!

Miller High Life Light is 5.69 a twelve pack. You had better stock up. Peace in the southeast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home