All I know is...

8.21.2006

Hold That Tiger!

Now, that I have effectively brought to surface your inner feelings about Wal-Mart and its business model/ethics/misappropriations, I would like to have your input on your thoughts concerning the enigma that is Tiger Woods.

Eldrick T., as I affectionately call him, has his hands, once again, firmly of the reigns of domination in the world of professional golf. Many discounted the Era of Tiger after his failure to make the cut in the U.S. Open. Many said that now was the time of Phil Mickelson. But, Hefty Lefty (not to confused with Jared Lorenzen) has since proved his masterful craft of choking which leaves Tiger no choice but to accept the number one spot.

Tiger is still cramming the long ball along with a few other newcomers such as J.B. Holmes (U.K. alumni) and Bubba Watson. This is bringing on a whole new evolution to the game in playing style and courses. With all the new golf technology recently introduced (lighter, longer clubs and new ball compositions), players are ripping the covers off the ball just to get closer to the green. Usually with longer drives comes an increase in errant shots. These players are gouging out of the rough to reach the green, hence the name Bomb and Gouge golf. I have always played that way, but not by choice, merely circumstance. That and I roll like Uncle Ance.

"I don't pay for golf just to lay up."

The reaction of the PGA and golf course designers around the world is to increase the total yardage of courses to keep the scoring down and retain more players in contention. Even older, established courses are lengthening their holes to make it tougher on these guys. Is this the proper way to go? What about us amateurs? I wouldn’t have a chance on courses like these. I will confess that I don’t have a habit of playing championship courses, but in the event I ever do get that habit, I would like a chance and not have my aspirations torn to pieces by shotty play. What is the solution?

Enough golf talk, let’s get some updates in on the fun. This past weekend, Beth and I went to Louisville for a weekend with the Pedens. We took in some state fair action. We saw all kinds of neat displays. My particular favorite was the antiques and memorabilia. I saw the largest rabbit I had ever seen in the livestock area. It would make Chloe look like a kitten (and you know how big Chloe is). As for the state fare, I had a corndog, a ribeye sandwich, and a funnel cake. No, I didn’t eat all that at once. We were there from 10:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

After a brief rest at Paige and David’s, we went to Fourth Street Live for dinner. This was a very interesting place, which appeared to cater to the younger and more single crowd. It wasn’t necessarily my cup of tea, mostly because it wasn’t like my garage. We ate at the Red Star Tavern. I think I was the only one who enjoyed the food, but the service was horrid. We were there for close to two hours and I had one Bud Light when I sat down. About ten minutes later, I ordered a gin tonic. Forty-five minutes later, the gin tonic was served and five minutes later the food was served. Nice.

Sunday morning we went to Lynn’s Paradise Café for breakfast. I heard about this place while watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay on the food network. Fortunately, what I saw on TV was still on the menu. I really enjoyed it while the others did not. Figures.

I missed a few bets on Sunday for the Longacres Mile at Emerald Downs and the Pacific Million at Del Mar. No biggie, though. I am ready to nail them this weekend for the King's Bishop and Travers Stakes at Saratoga. The Bernardini express will be coming through! All aboard!!!

Paige and David, we had a great time hanging out with you this weekend and I am looking forward to our Gatlinburg trip. Later on.

P.S. I was intentionally trying to get you to discuss Wal-Mart when I wrote about country music. Just like sheep. Ha!

*No, I didn't get the idea to post about Tiger because the guy on The Sports Huddle did. Mine was out before his. JDA 8-22-06

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • Not the scores down, the "scoring" down. Scoring is when you birdie or eagle. So if you keep the scoring down yes the stroke count goes up. You have to know what your talking about, RJ.

    The first couple of days Tiger was using his three wood. But, in the two final days, Tiger was gripping and ripping. This is probably why he didn't make it to twenty under.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/22/2006 8:17 AM  

  • Tiger Woods. Wood shoes. Netherlands. Landis, Floyd. Floyd the Barber. Barber shop quartet. Quart of milk. Groceries. Super Wal Mart.

    I knew I could get there.

    We're still trying to make the Gatlinburg trip. We'll see. I hate to miss it.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 8/22/2006 4:28 PM  

  • Do you mean "bogey"? You have no clue as to what your talking about. You can't even spell. First "Chineese", now "bogie".

    RJ, if you had the first inkling about golf or played more than three rounds at Sugar Creek Resort, you would realize I know what I am talking about. Do you even watch golf? Do you listen to the commentators? This is golf jargon. No one says, "Tiger is scoring with all those bogeys."

    Tiger hits his 3-wood 320+, and it is more accurate than his driver. Do you think he needs to use a driver as much? Didn't think so. And just because you use a 3-wood doesn't mean you aren't overhitting the ball. On links courses(the courses where the fairways aren't continuous, a la Sugar Creek) you have to lay up or Bomb and Gouge.

    Get a clue and don't make me block you off my site for just trying to argue. If you want to argue, call Ance. Holla.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/23/2006 7:58 AM  

  • Cheesay, I think inside your mind is.........THE WAL-MART MATRIX!!!

    I hope you guys can make it. Methinks it will be a great time.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/23/2006 8:17 AM  

  • Wal Mart is winning. Sam Walton lives! In my bwaaaaiiinnn!!! He made me make those comments so that you would respond with a Tiger Woods post so that you and Jonathan would say mean things to each other.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 8/23/2006 10:38 AM  

  • Chase,you're weird.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/23/2006 10:45 AM  

  • RJ, anyone who plays golf regularly and is familiar with the lingo of the game would tell you the same. Ask Rand-owski. He'll set you straight.

    "I would to see you be able to post one..."

    What does this mean?

    "But on your point, I would think longer courses would be better because then you get to hang with the guys and drink longer. Isn't that the only reason to golf anyways?"

    This isn't how I play golf.

    Ance called, he wants to argue with you.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/23/2006 4:40 PM  

  • JD said:

    Chase, you're weird.

    This doesn't surprise anyone, I'm sure.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 8/23/2006 9:20 PM  

  • I'm surprised.

    But then again, I've been called "weird" myself...

    By Blogger Alisha, at 8/24/2006 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home