All I know is...

3.14.2006

Gone Fitchin' Again

It is that time once again. The onset of spring and the around-the-clock programming of college basketball have arrived. And, I gladly welcome it with open arms. Despite the fact that UK will be, essentially, a non-contender, I can’t wait for the first round of the NCAA Tournament to start. Northern Iowa is my Cinderella pick for this year, F. Y. I.

Coincidentally, with the onset of the NCAA Basketball Tournament comes another reminder of spring. Our annual spring fishing trip to Cherokee Lake, Tennessee starts Friday morning. My brother-in-law, Dirty Bin Speeden, will probably meet me at my house and from there we will rendezvous with Cousin J-Rod somewhere along the interstate. We are going down a little bit earlier than the others to cash in on some extra fishing time. A. Tom Bomb, J. Will, Bluegrass Man, and possibly Bluegrass Man, Jr. will be down later, just in time to catch some first round basketball action Friday night.

The inspiration for this post came from my $160 trip to Dick’s Sporting Goods yesterday after work …and, NO, I did not buy any shoes. I went over there to buy some new fishing lures, a new tackle box, and, maybe, some speed snaps, if Dick’s had them. While I was there, I somehow convinced myself that I needed to purchase a new rod(6' 6" Shimano Convergence, Medium Flex/Fast Action) and reel(Daiwa Capricorn 100H) so I wouldn’t be out-fished due to down time for changing fishing rigs. My goal for this trip is to compete with J. Will’s cast-to-catch ratio. Hopefully, the rod and reel will work out good for me and I'll catch some mon-a-sters.

I am in for a weekend of fishing, armchair basketball coaching, and, possibly, a little poker. There might be a cold beer or two to sneak into the line-up, but I don’t think anyone will be counting. Now, let’s go fishing!

"...fellas, don't ya call me, cause I can't go;
I'm watchin' the Orlando Wilson Fishing Show!"

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home