All I know is...

1.09.2006

I'll Show You My Randolph If You Show Me Yours

Greetings from Blogville! I hope this finds you all well. I have not much to update you with at the moment. Maybe, I will take some time to rant for a few over the latest Kentucky shaming on the court.

It was pretty miserable for Kentucky fans Saturday afternoon as the Cats packed an incredible ass-whooping from the undeservedly unranked Jayhawks, 73-46. As this game progressed, my lust to watch Kentucky basketball disappeared, much like the giant pot of chili I had made. (More of the chili later.) So much, in fact, I have already sold the tickets for the UK/Vandy SEC home opener for Tuesday night. Yeah, Randolph Morris (more of him later)will be back, but 9:00 p.m. is too late of a game start for a working man like me. It took me three hours at work to find anyone to buy them. Usually, I have tickets sold before 8:00 a.m. A spanking like Saturday's seems to be the cure for Cat Scratch Fever.

Not a single player for Kentucky was in double digits in any category as Jayhawk Brandon Rush made a strong argument for his bid as NCAA freshman of the year. Rajon Rondo couldn't do anything with Rush as he rolled up a double-double, 24 points and 12 rebounds. 73-46. What I don't understand is that Kentucky has to many high-caliber players to be suffering defeats as this.

"We are trying to hit our stride, and we are not playing at the level we'd like to be playing at. We're still trying to get some real chemistry and cohesiveness in our scoring. Our defense has been solid all year long, and now we're picking up rebounding-wise. We just need to get some more scoring, and I think that will help once we get Randolph Morris back." -- Coach Tubby Smith

All these remarks have to be in exception to the Iowa, North Carolina, and Indiana games, where the defense was not so solid. I will address the Randolph Morris statement. Several UK fans have been surmising Randolph's support from the athletic staff to return to the team and the reiteration of his return to team as making the team go from an inconsistent to contentious team has crippled the team. Maybe, the players feel there is no confidence in their coaches or athletic department, a.k.a. Mitch Barnhart and crew. While everyone has been going to bat for the misguided Morris, they forgot to remind the faithful, those who didn't try to enter the NBA unqualified, that they could win without Morris. We are looking at some interesting and possibly challenging times as Wildcat fans. Let me know what you think.

Now, we are on to something more noteworthy.

I had a couple of friends over to watch the game(if that is what you recognized it as)with Beth and I, Brandon, a.k.a. "Notorious" and Brett a.k.a. "The Hitman". Brett, Beth, and I stuffed our gullets with chili I had made a couple of days before. Brandon is on a diet and had vaginitis (sorry), so he couldn't eat any chili. Anyway, the chili wasn't made from a top secret recipe or anything, but I have discovered a little trick into making good chili taste like great chili. Once you make your chili, don't eat it right away. Pour the chili into an air-tight container and let it sit in your fridge, free from cat butt, for at least 24 hours. This lets the flavors blend as this results in a uniform flavor. Mmm, Mmm, Beetches. My trick also works with green beans and baked beans.

I am going to watch Kentucky play Tuesday night, but in the comfort of my own home. It's on ESPN at 9:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m. for the Carbondalians. It's too bad I have already eaten all of the chili.


4 Comments:

  • I have to admit that I watched very little of the game. What I did see was just sad. I have been sucked into another television event.

    I've been watching a three-part documentary on PBS's Frontline series. It's called "Country Boys" and focuses on two boys growing up in Floyd County, KY who attend the David School. The David School is a private school for students with behavioral problems resulting from learning disabilities. It is captivating. Part three is tonight if you want to watch the conclusion without seeing the first two installments.

    Here's a link. It's like "American Hollow," but with a little more heart.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 1/11/2006 6:19 PM  

  • You disappoint me, Midwest Man. But, you didn't miss much. I called that loss. Vandy beat Auburn on Saturday by 24 points. They looked good then and they looked good the other night. Morris looked no worse for the wear. He had 10 points, 7 rebs, and 2 blocks. Not bad for bench rust and a double team guarding him most of the night.

    I haven't seen that show, but it looks like a train wreck to me. I'll try to catch it whenever it reruns.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 1/12/2006 12:29 PM  

  • Sorry to disappoint you. I'll be a better fan someday.

    The show wasn't a trainwreck. It was pretty tastefully done and painted a pretty good picture of the poverty and education trap that many people fall into in Eastern KY. It's not as judgemental as most of the documentaries made about the area.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 1/12/2006 6:19 PM  

  • It must not have been done by Rory Kennedy, then.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 1/13/2006 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home