All I know is...

8.28.2006

...And Down the Stretch He Comes!

I told you earlier and it has rang true. Bernardini gets my vote for horse of the year and the three-year old champion after Saturday’s romp in the Grade I Travers Stakes. His impressive 7 and ½ length victory has set it up like concrete for me. After setting the time at every fraction, Bernardini pulled away down the stretch with the kick of a closer, much like he has done in the three year old standings. This sets him up for a showdown with Lava Man, the best in the West.

Lava Man’s last win in the Pacific Classic proved he was the best out of the Sunshine State. The fabled match-up, with what will be one for the record books, has the excipients of legend. You have the older, proven horse in Lava Man and the untested, youngster Bernardini wishing to seal his fate as the horse of the year. This is something that I would not want to miss. It almost seems like a modern day Seabiscuit sequel. And I can’t wait.

Tiger did it again. He won the Bridgestone Invitational on the final day after four play-off holes with Stewart Cink. Four tournaments, four wins. On Mike and Mike in the Morning, Greenie and Golic brought up some nice Tiger-stats. Tiger has played in 198 tournaments since turning pro. He has won 52 tournaments since turning pro. The rest of the top five golfers in the world, Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Vijay Singh, and Retief Goosen, have 52 total wins. Tiger has won half as much money as those four players combined. Nice.

And speaking of golf, I played yesterday with Dad, David, D. Kyle, Ance and Jimmy Lee over at Southwind in Winchester. Ance was my playing partner and for as much crap as I give Ance about his conversational stylings, it was quite a pleasant round. Sorry Ance. I had to give a dose in one aspect, though. I out-drove him with his own driver. He kept asking me to try it out, so I did. Three hundred and seventy yards later (ask Ance if you don’t believe me), we both concluded two things. One, the drive was the longest drive I had ever hit, and two; the smack was the longest drive we had ever seen in person. The result on the hole was disappointing, I three putted for a bogey. Good times, nonetheless.

On a sadder note, one of my good friends from college was on Comair Flight 5191 when it crashed Sunday morning at Lexington Bluegrass Airport. Erik “Frank” Harris was a great guy and always had a smile on his face. Even if you had just seen him an hour before, he was just as happy to talk to you the next time he would see you. His family and friends will surely, miss him. I would like to ask a favor of you, if you would, to please say a prayer for his loved ones. This one is for you, Frank!

On the lighter side, Happy Birthday, Alex Thomas! I hope you have as great a birthday as the law will allow in Knott County!!!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear about your friend. Must've been one I didn't get to meet. The name doesn't ring a bell. The daggone national news anchors couldn't say Lexington right. The kept saying something like Lexkington. It was weird.

    Oh yeah... Abners to Gatlingburg 06... We're in.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 8/28/2006 5:18 PM  

  • Thanks so much Jon...as I recall yours is a mere days away. And next time I will at least pay for one of your drinks....none of that silver bullet. That is too expensive for my pocket! lol

    By Blogger Alexandria, at 8/28/2006 7:11 PM  

  • Cheeser,
    Erik was a Sigma Pi. He was a stand up guy that would do anything for you. He hung out with Beerman and Jason Carroll. I think you remember those guys.

    I am glad you will be able to make it to Gatlinburg. When will you be down there? I think a trip to Dollywood is a must! Whatchu thinking?

    Alex,
    I hope you had a great B-Day. Just think, you can now go into bars and booby clubs. What an awesome door being 21 opens, huh? Just kidding. Don't tell Joel, but I only drink that silver bullet when he's around :]

    Holla!

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/29/2006 11:33 AM  

  • Champion horses sell for millions of dollars for their breeding rights. Barbaro probably won't sell for that much, but it will be at least $10-15 million. It is too early to say for Bernardini. If he does well the rest of this year, with a Breeders Cup Classic title under his belt, he could reach Smarty's party. Smarty Jones sold for $48 million dollars. I think his stud fee is around 100K and he probably has around a couple hundred foals this spring. That's a $20 million dollar return. WE NEED TO GET IN THIS GAME!

    As far as the silver bullet goes, it is by far not the best beer, but it definitely the coldest tasting beer.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/30/2006 8:16 AM  

  • Are you ready for a long run-on sentance?

    When I hear the term silver bullet, I think of the episode of Family Guy where it's like Charlie & the Chocolate Facotry and they're getting ready to take a tour of the Pawtucket Patriot Ale factory but it's not handicap accessible so the chumba wumbas push Joe (the dude in the wheelchair)and as he's rolling away he yells, "I'm a Coors man! Sliver Bullet!"

    By Blogger Alisha, at 8/30/2006 12:15 PM  

  • Paige,
    You owe Beerman 2 minutes and 53 seconds of make-out time.

    Dad has drank Coors Light, not to be confused with the "banquet beer" of Coors Original, for a while, but I honestly think Jess started drinking the silver bullet while he was at Eastern.

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 8/30/2006 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home