All I know is...

1.05.2006

Ain't It Funny?

Ain't it funny how people sidestep then jab? I am speaking of the way people communicate when trying not to step on toes or when they just want to hear themselves speak because they think they are smart and should be heard. I tend to run into this situation on a daily basis, especially at work. Of course, I am not innocent of this crime of mannerism and I bet you aren't either. I can give you a more specific example if you are unsure.

People use the phrases "I am sorry, but...", "I don't mean to sound hateful, but...", or "I don't want to sound rude, but..". What are these people doing other than announcing their agenda? Maybe it should go like this: "I don't want to sound rude, but I am getting ready to be rude." It seems they think if you admit something before you actually do it, then it is okay to proceed with the un-nice-ity, if you will. Maybe if I say, "I don't mean to rob this bank, but..." it is okay and I will be forgiven, no jail time. Please.

Usually, as soon as I hear the drop line, "I am sorry, but...", I tune out. "La dee dee, Texas National Champs, tra la la, USC not greatest college football team of all time, la la." I think that we should sidestep the formalities of sparing and then unsparing individuals feelings and just come right out with what we are saying. Like saying "I'm sorry, but..." is going change their minds about the subject once they hear you blab?

Instead of this: "I'm sorry, but USC is not the greatest college football team of all time."

Say this: "USC sucks."

I am definitely going to start doing this. I would rather someone say, "Damn, that dude is blunt!" as opposed to "Damn, that guy is one rude ass!" Think about it.

2 Comments:

  • I have that problem sometimes. I find myself saying, "I probably shouldn't say this, but..." It's pretty sad actually. It's like realizing it's wrong makes it more enticing. Who knows?

    What if people started just saying, "I mean to be rude..." or "I'm gonna love hurting your feelings when I say this..." ?

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 1/05/2006 12:59 PM  

  • Try this, whenever those words come into your mind and they are getting ready to slip across your tongue, just make that noise that Steve Carell (The Office)makes when someone is saying something he doesn't like. Oh snap! He is doing what I am explaining when he makes that noise, duh. Yeah, just be like Micheal Scott. New one on tonight!

    By Blogger J-Delicious, at 1/05/2006 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home